Sunday, April 8, 2012

On Infamy

One thing an actor always has to deal with is the chance that he might get just a tiny bit of recognition, which isn't always a good thing. In this case, Karot, CEO of Aduro Protocol and highly esteemed "expert eight year vet" (ordained by his own members onto such a pedestal) seems to have taken a personal interest into my adventures. Probably because I joined his corporation earlier this afternoon and nailed two of his newer players straight out of their baby-barge retrievers and sent their pods careening into the twisting nether.

Don't get me wrong, I understand patience. Anyone with even the smallest sliver of that virtue themselves would realize that I've played the sit-and-wait game a few times in the past, and it's certainly paid off. But sometimes it's not about the ISK. A lot of times, forcefully ejecting newer, impressionable players out of their shiny, new, expensive (in their terms) ships they've worked hard for is all the reward necessary.

And such was the case when the two retriever pilots were so paralyzed by having my Catalyst strip mine their hulls to pieces. They just logged off, never said a word. I caught on quick enough that they had whined rather loudly on their corp's vent about how the events transpired, because shortly after, Captain Amazing, Karot, logged in and fleeted up with me. Once I saw he was in an assault frigate, I packed up my shit and got out of there. Not being extremely well versed in PVP, I don't even know if I stood a chance. Given I didn't have PVP mods, nor any decent skills, my immediate reaction is 'no', but a certain fight I engaged in on my alt account as a Wolf vs a Cormorant brings back vague memories of how scary a destroyer can be, even on a tech 2 hull. But I digress.

Karot informs me that I should pay the noobs back for their retrievers, but I bestow some wisdom upon him and tell him to buy them new retrievers himself. There's no way an eight year old player can't foot the bill for two noob fit mining barges, and secondly, buying them for his members instead of me would only serve to bolster their bro-respect for each other and strengthen his corp as a whole. See, I'm not always a bad guy! This is really the case though. Each mistake is an opportunity in life as it is in EVE, and the mistakes were all made on their side. His directors were clearly given too much power without the proper knowledge on how to use it, namely the power to recruit me without the knowledge to figure out that I'm not going to be giving them Orca support anytime soon. Now he knows to fix it, and the bill was only... what? 10 million ISK? You might as well just call me a corporate security consultant at this stage, because I guarantee you I saved them some hurt down the road. And frankly, I'm a little insulted an eight year old player wouldn't even audit a single recruit. It's lowering the standards of the EVE community as a whole.

Regardless, I say my piece and drop corp, only to pick up another within minutes. And lo and behold, this group of zerg inviting clowns have exactly what I'm looking for; a shit-fit Orca pilot desperate for a bro to haul and boost for in a belt. My mouth starts salivating, and as I desperately pound the keys to more deceptive prose, spittle splashing against my oily, crumb-filled keyboard, I gain the trust of the pilot and we make a hot date out in Caldari space in a 0.5 system. About seven jumps into Caldari space, I'm suddenly ejected from the corp back into Caldari Provisions without a word. Then it hit me - Karot was so upset by my earlier exploits, that he's now decided to play internet spaceship mall cop, and began warning potential prey off with his rape whistle.

I suppose I'm going to pick up more unwanted attention the further into my escapades I go, but the beauty of the method lies in it's simplicity, and it would not cause me much harm to be rid of Touchfuzzy Getdizzy altogether. Starting a new capsuleer on a campaign of deception, tyranny and villainy seems like a necessity at some point down the road anyhow, but time can only tell if that's really the case. After all, I've been brutally burned in the past myself, but there's a certain point where you just stop caring. We'll see how the infamy, however large or small, plays it's role when the curtains open on a new stage.

1 comment:

  1. Stick with the main character! Every time you break a hole in corp security with all the signs pointing to "I'm a bad guy" you only highlight the mistakes they've made themselves even stronger, which seems to be part of your goal. Great stuff, look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete